2023 Australian Open: Jelena Ostapenko vs Cori Gauff prediction and betting tips (January 22)
Jelena Ostapenko and Cori Gauff have met each other only once. This fixture was finished with a 2-1 score in favor of the American tennis player. Who will win this time?
Cori Gauff has a streak of eight victories
Cori Gauff has a streak of eight victories

The Jelena Ostapenko vs Cori Gauff fixture in the 2023 Australian Open will take place on Sunday, January 22, 2023, starting at 2:00 a.m. GMT. The venue is Margaret Court Arena, Melbourne.

Latest odds on betting sites

Jelena Ostapenko is priced with the odds of 1.45 (-222 American; 9/20 Fractional) to win the next match, which equals an approximate probability of 65%. Cori Gauff has an odds of 2.75 (+175; 7/4) to qualify for the next stage. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 35%.

The latest odds for Jelena Ostapenko vs Cori Gauff (January 22, 2023):

  • Over 19.5 games — 1.85 (-117; 17/20)
  • Under 19.5 games — 2.00 (+100; 1/1)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) sets on Gauff — 1.75 (-133; 3/4)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) sets on Ostapenko — 2.10 (+110; 11/10)
  • Asian handicap (-5.5) games on Gauff — 2.10 (+110; 11/10)
  • Asian handicap (+5.5) games on Ostapenko — 1.75 (-133; 3/4)

Match preview and statistics

Jelena Ostapenko started the 2023 season badly. She lost two fixtures in the 2023 WTA Adelaide. Ostapenko was defeated by Irina-Camelia Begu (3-6, 0-6) and Anna Kalinskaya (3-6, 4-6). In this tournament, Jelena Ostapenko’s performance is good, but she has not met any strong rivals.

In the first stage, she won over Dayan Yastremska (6-4, 6-2). She did not make any double faults and gave her rival only one break point opportunity. Also, Ostapenko won 59% of all points and 67% of games.

The second round against Anna Bondar (7-6, 5-7, 6-0) started with difficulty. Ostapenko was lucky to win tie-breaks after coming back from a 5-3 score in the first set. In the second set, the tennis players were absolutely equal. However, she finally showed her best in the last set winning it with a 6-0 score.

In the last match, she met Kateryna Baindl (6-3, 6-0). This game was easy for Jelena Ostapenko. She gave her rival only one break point opportunity and won 61% of all points.

We have seen a total of under 19.5 games in five of the last six matches with Jelena Ostapenko participating. The same total comes with the odds of 2.00 (+100; 1/1) this time.

Cori Gauff has a streak of eight victories. Also, she won all these eight matches to nil. She won the 2023 WTA Auckland before the 2023 Australian Open, but there were not any equal rivals for Gauff in the previous tournament.

In Round 1 of the 2023 AO, she met Katerina Siniakova (6-1, 6-4). The Czech tennis player tried to create a sensation. She received four break point opportunities and won 42% of the points, but those are not enough to beat Cori Gauff in her current form.

In the second match, the American tennis player won over Emma Raducanu (6-3, 7-6). This game was much closer than the previous one. Cori Gauff won only 52% of all points and gave her rival 10 break point opportunities, but was lucky to finally finish it in her favor.

In the most recent game against Bernarda Pera (6-3, 6-2), Cori Gauff played much stronger than her rival and did not have any problems with winning the game to nil.

Cori Gauff has won the last eight matches with a 2-0 score. She comes with the odds of 1.75 (-133; 3/4) to beat Jelena Ostapenko in two sets.

Jelena Ostapenko vs Cori Gauff H2H

Cori Gauff beat Jelena Ostapenko (6-3, 1-6, 6-2) in the final of the 2019 Linz WTA. Their last H2H game was played a long time ago. What will we see this time?

Prediction and betting tips

Cori Gauff looks much stronger. She has a streak of eight victories all in two sets. Also, she won the single H2H game against Jelena Ostapenko, but are all of those important? The last H2H game was played in 2019, and Gauff has not beaten any rivals from the top-40 WTA during creating her win streak. She has lost five of the last six matches against rivals from the top 30.

Jelena Ostapenko is not in her best form too, but Cori Gauff looks a bit overrated now. I believe that we will see a total of over 19.5 games in this match, which played out in their single H2H game.

Betting prediction: Over 19.5 games

Odds: 1.80 (-125 American; 4/5 Fractions)

Jelena Ostapenko — Cori Gauff
Over 19.5 games
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!